Veggie shepherd's pie
Here is another exquisite vegetarian version of a classic dish from Quebec. Go for it, try this Shepherd's pie! You will never notice it is full of veggies.
- 6 c (1.5 l) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans 14 oz (398 ml) Bonduelle red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 box 8 oz (227 g) mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worstershire sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/2 c (125 ml) milk
- 2 c (500 ml) frozen corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF (180 ºC).
- In a large saucepan, cook potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, add 1 can of black beans to a bowl and mash with vegetables using a pestle.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil to medium-high heat and sauté onions, celery and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- In the pan, add thyme, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and mashed and whole beans. Season to taste, stir well and return to heat.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Add butter, then milk. Season to taste.
- In an ovenproof dish, spread the black bean mixture, cover with corn and mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Nutritional value (per serving):
- Calories: 451
- Proteins: 19 g
- Lipids: 8 g
- Glucides: 80 g
- Fibers: 13 g
- Sodium: 95 mg